7/25/07

Heaven w/o God?

Sounds funny huh? I truly believe that there are believers that could get to heaven and not even notice if God was absent (this couldn't happen - but stay with me - it's all hypothetical). As long as their mansion was furnished to their taste, friends were available to "hang out" for thousands of years on each other's front porch, the sacred baseball diamond was manicured to perfection and ready for play, there was always an open tee-time for the "Dream 18," the food was exceptional gourmet quality, the great fishing hole in the sky always had ginormous bass, and their crown fit just right on their head and showcased all of their jewels. I say much of this "tongue and cheek," but some of it may be more true than we want to admit.

Here is the problem with that thought process. God is the very essence of heaven. He makes heaven heaven. Without Him what's the point. Heaven exists because of God. There would be no point in being there without God, but so many people are worried about filling the time in eternity that the peripheral things become primary. Without God heaven would be void. There would be no lights because His glory illuminates heaven (Rev. 21:23). Even the peripheral things wouldn't be there because God is the furnisher. Heaven just isn't heaven without God.

John Piper speaks of the magnitude of God concerning our time in heaven, and it has rattled my cage ever since I heard his sermon over the doxology at the end of Romans 11. The old time saying, "we will be perfect when we get to heaven" has been tainted over the years. I think Piper gets it right when he says that we will understand everything we thought we new on earth correctly once we get to heaven. Then he goes on to say that every day for eternity, we will incrementally learn more and more about God. WOW, that's unreal! Go put that in your theological pipe and smoke it.
How big is your God?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Memorial. You have been called to a magnificent church! Our prayer is your lives will be blessed and enriched as you bless and enrich ours!
Rick Ogden

Anonymous said...

thats a really cool theory. I have never thought of it that way.

Anonymous said...

HEY HEY HEY
its fffaaaaaattttt Albert!!!!! hahaha jk. thats a really great blog john. i remember you talking bout it on one sunday. and i REALLY like that statement at the end. put that in your theological pipe and smoke it. hahahaha you crack me up ima start sauin that. cept maybe not the theological. yep yep so i hope everything is going swell up there and i am looking forward to going up there. mucho. anywhoo. ima bout to go to open gym at school from 6 to 8 and then i am going to your house! heck yes cuz i miss you o so much!!!!!!!!!!alright talk to you later!...........dork! haha sry i had to

Anonymous said...

ok..think this...if God wasn't in Heaven then there would be no God. Then, there would be no universe and world because God made them both, which then would make us people and everything else in non-existence. Which then would make everything and everyone at the moment an empty parallel universe that never was and never will be. Therefore, God is in heaven whom makes all things exisit because he is powerful and extraordinary beyond belief....unless.....God is here on Earth as a human being with all of us oblivious to Him...then, he wouldn't be in Heaven....which would make my "theological" whatever-you-wanna-call-it false.....what?!?..DUDE, I hope you're understanding what I'm saying because....I'm kind of confusing myself as it is...But really...I understand what you're completely saying!....Anyway, try to stick mine in your theological milk carten and sip it!!(if you even understand it...)Hehe!!

Saunders Family said...

That really made me think...never really thought about it that way. I am so glad Jonathan got to come see you. I can't wait until Amanda and Luke get there and we can come see ya'll as a family. God Bless. I'm praying for you during this time away from each other I know what you are going through. Hang in there!

John Denby said...

I agree with you "rockin' asian" that everything exists because of God (even heaven). It is a hypothetical scenario to make us consider our motives for wanting heaven: for God or the amenities.

P.S. - I laughed and laughed about, "try to stick mine in your theological milk carton and sip it!!"

Anonymous said...

I'm SoOoOoOoOo glad you get my point!!!!! But really.....!!!! Stick it & Sip it!!!







'Kay, BYE! ;)

Jeremy Bradshaw said...

John Denby you are a mad genius!! Although I am concerned that your theological smoking habits will turn your preaching voice raspy. Still someone should name a library after you... or at least a table at a Taco Cabana!