You may be thinking that this is a dumb question to ponder, but don't be so quick to come to that conclusion. Remember this blog is called against the flow: striving to live counter-culturally, and I think American Christianity answers this question differently than God's Word.
I went to public school, and it was cool to call yourself a Christian but not to live it. As soon as you started looking too much like Christ, you would be ostracized. I really expect this in the "world," but I believe this sad truth can be found inside the church. When you follow Christ with all your heart, soul, and mind, the Lord convicts you of many things. Most of the time these convictions lead to a change of lifestyle, attitude, and daily practice.
I see some church goers look down on people inside the church. If someone knows a lot about the Bible, then they are labeled "Bible thumper." Even faithfully bringing your Bible to church may be too much for some. When someone is devoted to following Christ at all costs, we may think they have gone to far with this Christianity. What I am trying to provoke is that we are way to comfortable with our way of life. Christ calls us to some pretty heavy things, but we like things just the way they are.
Some heavy things Christ calls us to:
1. deny ourselves
2. take up our cross daily
3. be salt and light in this dark world
4. make disciples
5. follow Him
This just touches the fringe. My main point is that we should not make fun of anyone striving to live like Christ but be spurred on to do the same.
2 comments:
Can we be too much like Christ? I honestly don't think so. Whenever ppl are outside of church I notice they act worldly. But whenever there in church they act like christians. Now how can we be too much like Christ, when we won't even try to be like him outside of church. Please let me know if you don't understand me, and I'll explain it to you. And the same goes for me too when it comes to outside the church. I will start doing something I shouldn't, and catch myself in the act. So don't get me wrong. I am one of those people. And its something I struggle with daily.
Serena,
Great comment! I think you got the main idea of the blog. It is not possible to be too much like Christ, but our American culture tends to think so. Keep striving to live for Him in all areas of your life!
Post a Comment